While viewing content, the transcript scrolls alongside the TV broadcast as it plays, syncing up video content with closed captioning. The text auto-scrolls, highlighting the search terms in blue where they appear. Auto-scrolling disables once you start clicking around the transcript. You can click on any word and SnapStream will take you to that point of mention in the broadcast, and auto-scrolling will resume from there. You can also use the Keyword Locator to skip to each successive keyword mention in the broadcast.
You can also access the transcript through the Library by finding your Library item, and clicking the CC button. This is the method used when you need to download/edit/clip from the transcript, here's what that looks like:
The transcript is downloadable, editable, and you can clip from it. You can download transcripts in .TXT, .SRT, or .SCC format. The transcript edit feature allows you to fix misspellings and errors in the closed captioning. The Clip From Transcript feature allows you to select a text block from the transcript, and create a video clip featuring that content.
Downloading transcripts as .TXT, .SRT, or SCC files.:
- To download the transcript in any available file format, simply find the library item and click the CC button next to it.
- Once you're at the transcript page, look to the top right corner, where you'll find buttons labeled: Download Transcript (.txt file,) Download SRT (.srt file,) & Download SCC (.scc file.)
- Click your desired filetype, and your browser should download the transcript. If it doesn't, try holding control/command, and clicking.
You can use SnapStream Search to search through your transcripts. There are custom operators that aid in filtering the results, you can find more information about that here in our Help File:
Search - http://help.snapstream.com/8.1/search.htm
Search Help - http://help.snapstream.com/8.1/searchsyntax.htm?searchTxt=search%20help&criteria=
- To edit a transcript, find the library item, and click the CC button next to it.
- When the transcript page appears, find the "Edit Transcript" button at the top right corner.
- Select a passage that you would like to edit, and a dialog should appear.
- Make the desired changes, and click "Close."
Clip From Transcript:
Creating a clip from a transcript is an interesting feature that allows you to clip from a recording that has a transcript. In the past, we've found this feature most useful for folks who are traveling or have poor bandwidth but, still need to get clips cut and shared. Being that we cut from the transcript, this isn't always going to be the most accurate method but, if need to use it you could always set the clip markers wider, clip it and refine it later on. YMMV.
To create a clip from a transcript:
- Find the library item (recording or clip,) that you would like to clip from.
- Click the CC button at the bottom right corner of the library item to view the transcript.
- To select a start point, go to the transcript and hover a phrase until it turns gray. Click it, to make the selection active, then press "Z" or select the clip start button from the panel.
- To select an endpoint, hover a phrase later in the transcript until it turns gray, click it to make it active then, press "X" or select the clip end button from the panel. This should highlight the entire selection between the points.
- To clip, simply press "C" or the scissors at the top of the page.
Follow the clipping prompts, and you'll find the clip in the library under All Clips or My Clips.
Workflow to generate and export a transcript:
We can create a workflow to automate creating and exporting a workflow. If you're interested in setting this up, you'll need to determine a trigger and a location for export. With all workflows, we recommend you reach out to us to assist with setup.