I have content being captured in Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) that I want to send to SnapStream for recording using one of my Streams licenses. How do I do this?
NOTE: This article assumes that you have already configured OBS Studio to get the content you are wanting to stream to SnapStream. For more information on OBS Studio configuration in general, please visit https://obsproject.com/help .
1) Create a Stream input
From the Home page, click Streams from the top menu bar to open the Streams page.
Click Add Stream to create a new Stream input.
- Enter a Name. This name is how recordings will show up in the SnapStream library.
- Use RTMP as the Transport Type.
- An RTMP endpoint will be generated automatically. Copy this information to a safe place so that you can enter it in the OBS output settings in the next step.
- Turn Live Transcription On or Off as desired.
- Click Save to create the input.
4) Edit your Stream settings in OBS to send to the RTMP endpoint you just configured in SnapStream.
-Head over to OBS > File > Settings > Stream
- Set Service to Custom
Paste the 1st half of your RTMP address ("Server URL")into the Server field. (example: rtmp://server085.cloud.snapstream.com/snapstream/)
Paste the 2nd half of your RTMP address ("Stream Name") into the Streaming key field.
Here's what it should look like when completed:
Click Apply, and OK.
5) Check your encoding settings before attempting to stream your OBS source (File > Settings > Output).
Some Basic encoding settings that should work are below.
Adjust the bitrate if desired. For most applications, the default bitrate of 2500 should be suitable.
In Keyframe Interval, enter 1. Then click Apply.
NOTE: You can view our general recommendations when it comes to encoding settings for SnapStream here: Best Practices for Third Party Encoders.
6) When your source OBS settings are all ready, select Start Stream in OBS to start sending the stream to your SnapStream system.
7) SnapStream will automatically start recording when it receives data from OBS.
If you want to leave Live Transcription Off, but turn it on at a certain time for an Event, you can follow this article on How to create an Event and enable Live Transcription
Applies to Version:
SnapStream Cloud version 9.5+