Why am I getting a black thumbnail in my clip points/screenshots using Safari after upgrading MacOS?
Apple added an experimental feature to Safari called "GPU Process: Canvas Rendering" that is causing this issue. This article will show you how to disable this experimental feature.
- Open Safari
- In order to disable this feature, you will need to first enable the "Develop" menu. At the top left, click on Safari > Preferences
- Once the menu opens, click on Advanced and then select “Show Develop menu in menu bar.
- Once you have done that, you can close the menu. Now look at the top menu bar again, you will see a new menu option called Develop. Click on the Develop menu and mouseover Experimental Features. A list will pop out to the right. Scroll down till you see "GPU Process: Canvas Rendering" and click on it (which will uncheck that setting).
- Now you will want to quit Safari. You can quit Safari in a couple of ways:
- Right click on Safari in the App Bar and clicking Quit.
- Click Safari in the top left menu and click Quit Safari.
- Once it has closed, re-open Safari and your thumbnails should not be black anymore.
Issue was discovered after an update to MacOS Monterey 12.1 using Safari 15.2.
Applies to Version: